Friday, February 5, 2010

In Need of A job!

It was 2005 mid year when it actually struck my mind that I should work and earn soon. I had just stepped outta college and my English was pathetic!

Navratan; my frend at coll got into HP and he was already offered 11000. That’s a dream amount for me. One day I called Srikanth and told “ Macha tomorrow lets attend interview at Transworks. They take people with OK kinda English knowledge and we come under that group.

He was a game for it and we left early in the morning to be ther on time. On our way, we got down at corp circle for a smoke! (Srikanth’s smoke rather) We googled our pockets to find some penny n found a huge amount, 10Rs!!!

Ok. Planning started: By 2 Tea is 3 rs n I ciggy is 3 so left with 4rs and that’s the deal. After having filled our tummy with half a cuppa Tea, we reached Transworks building! Huge and neat. We were tensed since their only criteria ENGLISH was a skill that was ahead of our level. We convinced ourselves that it is FOREIGN language and what we have learnt is great. We are Indians..!! It was a convincing justification for at least us!!

We were called in by a person and made to sit in a room packed with some 20 people. Their looks were as if they were from Harvard.

Hi this is Naveen, training coordinator! We heard this from behind and the person stood before us in seconds.
Ok Let’s get started and he said the agenda for the day.

Round 1: Self Introduction
Round 2: Speak about anything under the sum for 5 minutes. That was 300 seconds..!!
Round 3: Written Test. Silly English! I was too good at written English!! You’ll know it ahead
Round 4: Technical Round with Dept Head.!!

As usual, I selected the best seat Last corner..!! Unlucky day, I was asked to start first. With sweating hands, I started yapping what I had prepared by heart! My Self intro was fairly done!
Following me was Sri who gave a decent intro.
Rest followed us and then we both were convinced about our skills cos others were even more pathetic…!!

Round 2: Luck was on my side! They started calling from first row. After all those sleepy talks, I was called. With some confidence at corner, I started telling about Body language. My recent interest then! I gave some signs and explained about it. I was satisfied.

Round 3: Silly Written English! The moment they gave the paper, I was dead! Neva seen such high level English grammer. Prolly they copy pasted from Wren n Martin!!

But my skill that was learnt and imbibed in college came to my rescue. COPY…!!! Me and Sri tried our best to utilize our SEE and SURVIVE Skill and at last finished our written. No post exam discussion were allowed!

Round 4: Tech head was a lady, charming and bomb!!
By now hope you gotta know my mental state. I was just seeing her and she shot her first question. Why Call Centre? I came up with some silly answer which I felt she was kinda OK with.
Then for the next 10 min she was generally speaking to me to asses my English skill but I was engrossed seein her. Finally she told me to wait outside for next formalities.

After 10 min, short n stout HR came to me. She was jus opp to wat I saw 10 min before.! She said Shabarish, You are thro!

I was like; I am the richest man now..! I went into HR room with smile and she gave me the offer letter with sal breakup. It was 7150/- My first salary. I swear I did not understand the salary breakup. All I was worried was about my take home, “give some” home!!!

After some time, I came back to ground and then remembered Sri. I had strong feeling that he would get selected cos he was more desperate! I was waiting for him at the pantry. He came to me in sometime n said Macha, M not selected. It was a shocker for me n I felt sad. He said, his tech round was screwing and some guy took it.

We both left the office, he was happy for me n I was sad for him! The best part was he convinced me sayin not to worry he wil get in soon. Then we got into bus wit not so happy face and departed back home. When I reached home I was back to excited state and showed my offer letter to dad n ma. They were the happiest people that day. Wishing me good luck they gave me 50rs to go eat something outside since nothing special was prepared at home. As usual, I went out n belted kebabs wit one of my fren.

That night when I hit the bed, I was all excited bout new work, new life, new freedom, new man in me…!!!

I was happy for the fact that moving ahead my purse will have some decent pennies in it and its all MY OWN money..!!

That sense of satisfaction was speechless….!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment